SharePoint Language Pack Activation & Blob Cache Errors

Following the installation of SharePoint 2010 SP2 I noticed a large number of event log errors for the Publishing Cache on web front end servers.  The error was “An error occurred in the blob cache.  The exception message was “The system cannot fine the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)”.

BlobCache1

Looking deeper into the error using the ULSViewer I could see that the error was being caused by language pack files that could not be found.  The files could not be found because following the installation of the language pack the Publishing Infrastructure feature had not been reactivated.  The TechNet notes here state “After you install a new language pack, you must deactivate and then reactivate any language-specific features before you use the new language pack.”

In order to resolve the error I went into Site Settings -> Site collection features.  I deactivated the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure, then activated the feature.  You need to do this out of hours and it does affect your SharePoint site while the feature is deactivated.

Advertisements

One thought on “SharePoint Language Pack Activation & Blob Cache Errors

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s