If you need to force a tape to be free when you’re using System Center Data Protection Manager you can use the PowerShell script ForceFree-Tape.ps1. The syntax of this command had me stuck for a while, so here’s a post to explain it.
- Run the DPM Management Shell as an administrator.
- Enter ForceFree-Tape.ps1.
- Enter the DPM server name.
- Enter the library name. There’s no need to add speech marks for spaces in the name.
- Here’s the bit that got me stuck. Enter the location of the tape to be force free as slot-x, where x is the slot number of the tape you wish to erase. Press enter and repeat the process for multiple slots.
- When you’ve entered the location of the slots you wish to force free press Enter again.