Monthly Archives: May 2012

Adobe Reader Enterprise Depolyment

The steps below are the ones I followed to distribute and configure Adobe Reader X in an enterprise environment

  • Download the latest Adobe Reader base release e.g. 10.1.0 as an msi file
  • Download the latest Adobe Reader quarterly update e.g. AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp
  • Place the Adobe Reader msi file and the msp patch file in a folder.  Create an empty file called Setup.ini in the folder containing the msi and msp.
  • Run the Adobe Customization Wizard and load the Adobe Reader msi file.  Choose your installation options, e.g. removing the EULA prompt, disabling updates etc. and save the mst into the folder holding the installation files.
  • Run the command below to silently install Adobe Reader, update it using the msp file and apply the customizations in the mst file.
  • msiexec.exe /i “\\%SERVER%\SoftwareDistribution\Packages\AdobeReader_X\AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi” PATCH=”\\%SERVER%\SoftwareDistribution\Packages\AdobeReader_X\AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp” TRANSFORMS=”\\%SERVER%\SoftwareDistribution\Packages\AdobeReader_X\Custom_Install.mst” /qn
Advertisements

Hide The “Java Update Available” Popup

If you’ve had enough of the Java Update Available popup, you can remove it by setting the EnableJavaUpdate registry key to 0 and rebooting

32bit Windows

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy

64bit Windows

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy

 

The management agent “MOSSAD-DOMAIN” failed on run profile “DS_FULLIMPORT” because of connectivity issues.

When looking through the event log on a SharePoint 2010 server I noticed the error:

The management agent “MOSSAD-DOMAIN.NAME” failed on run profile “DS_FULLIMPORT” because of connectivity issues.

Additional Information
Discovery Errors : “0”
Synchronization Errors : “0”
Metaverse Retry Errors : “0”
Export Errors : “0”
Warnings : “0”

User Action
View the management agent run history for details

In order to view further details of the error I opened MIISClient.exe, which is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell.

Using MIISClient.exe I was able to see the user import task taking place in real time and saw the status “stopped-connectivity” against one import task.  Clicking on the import task showed the connectivity issue was related to a missing permission on the CN=Configuration container in our parent domain.  The user import task was attempting to import users from our child domain.

The error occured because the import task imports users from our child domain and the Replicate Directory Changes permission needed to be applied to the CN=Configuration container in our parent domain.

To grant the permission, open ADSIEdit.msc and connect to the configuration naming context.  Right-click on the CN=Configuration,DC=XXX container, choose permissions and grant Replicate Directory Changes permission to the user account used for the user import.

Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 Report. Error: Subreport Could Not Be Shown

When running the Antimalware Activity Report, the Malware Activity section of the report failed to run and showed the error “Subreport could not be shown”.

The environment is System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007 R2, Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 and SQL Server 2005 SP4.

In order to fix the error I added the -g startup parameter to the SQL Server service.  The -g startup parameter specifies the amount of memory in MB that SQL Server will leave available for memory allocations within the SQL Server process.  I set the option to 384MB.  More information on the startup parameter is available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190737.aspx

To apply the startup parameter, open SQL Server Configuration Manager under Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> Configuration Tools  on the start menu.

Right-click on the SQL Server service, choose properties and open the Advanced tab.

Add ;-g384 to the end of the existing startup parameters and restart the SQL Server service.