Monthly Archives: September 2018

SharePoint 2013 – Sorry, something went wrong

Following some work on SharePoint, users were encountering the error “Sorry, something went wrong.  The context has expired and can no longer be used. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090317)”

SP-Content-Expired-0

Searching the web uncovered suggestions to change the claims token timeout value, reducing it from its default value of 24 hours, to something much lower, like 1 hour.  You can check the current value, shown in minutes, using the command below.

stsadm.exe -o getproperty -propertyname token-timeout

In my case the value had already been reduced to 1 hour, so I decided to set it back to the default of 24 hours using the command below.  This resolved the error.

stsadm.exe -o setproperty -propertyname token-timeout -propertyvalue 1440

Advertisements

Windows cannot install required files error 0x80070570

I recently encountered an issue where a server wouldn’t install any Windows Updates, whether directly from Microsoft, or if downloaded from the Windows Update Catalog.  The error message received was “Windows cannot install required files error 0x80070570” and this is how I resolved the error.

From an administrative command prompt I ran the System File Checker using sfc /scannow.  This stopped with an error at 36%.  The log for sfc is in the %windir%\Logs\CBS folder.

Next, I used the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool to perform a health scan of the Windows system files.  Again, I ran this from an administrative command prompt, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, but it showed no errors.

WUError-1

Despite the fact no corruption was detected, I ran the following command to fix corruption, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.  In my case, rather than using Windows Update to retrieve fresh files, I used the /Source switch to point to a copy of the SXS folder from a Windows installation ISO.

WUError-2

Having fixed the corruption Windows Updates now installed.