Monthly Archives: April 2011

ID 30101 Details: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (0x8007045D)

On System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2010 with March 2011 hotfix I got the following error when backing up to tape:

ID 30101 Details: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (0x8007045D)

This is an error that was originally fixed in DPM 2007 with a hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970868 , but reappeared on my 2010 install.  It can occur with large tape backups that span more than one tape.  I fixed the error by adding the following registry key, a reboot wasn’t necessary:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
"BufferQueueSize"=dword:00000001

[UPDATE]

I’ve had the same problem with DPM 2012 SP1 and the registry still fix worked.

Advertisements

System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 Doesn’t Detect Tape Drives In Library

[UPDATE – June 2013]

I’ve just encountered the same issue using Windows Server 2012, System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 SP1 and an Overland REO 4600 VTL.  As with DPM 2007, the fix is to change the tape drive driver to the generic Microsoft LTO tape driver.

I’ve used System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) since the 2007 beta, primarily for SharePoint and SQL backups.  I have a primary DPM server which backs up to disk and a secondary server which backs up to disk and additionally to a Overland Storage REO 4500 iSCSI Virtual Tape Library (VTL) for long term protection.  Both servers have run Windows Server 2008 R2 with DPM 2010 since its release.

I’ve never had any major issues with DPM until I recently rebuilt the secondary server from scratch with a clean OS install of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and DPM 2010.  What I found was that although DPM installed correctly it couldn’t see the tape drives in the VTL.  All the tape drives and the medium changer were visible in Device Manager and none were showing errors.  The medium changer and driver were automatically installed by Windows and the tape drive driver came from Windows Update.  The REO 4500 emulates an HP LTO2 tape drive and this is what was displayed in Device Manager.

In the DPM console under Management -> Libraries, the library was listed, but Total Drives was 0, rather than the expected 16.  The DPM console showed the following error:

Tape Library Overland Neo Series Medium Changers is not functioning efficiently for the following reason:

The drive information for Tape Library Overland Neo Series Medium Changers is incorrect and needs to be refreshed. (ID: 3302)

I followed the instructions to remap the drives here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795782.aspx.  The DPMLA.xml file produced by the tool was correct, showing the correct SCSI IDs, serial numbers etc. but DPM still couldn’t see the drives.

I found the solution to the problem on the DPM forum here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/1d599443-7bf6-437a-bf12-52847fa7c8e5/ What I did is update the tape drive driver to the Inbox LTO driver as described on the forum and below:

1) Open device manager
2) Locate the tape drive
3) Right-click and look at the properties.
3) Under the DRIVER tab, select UPDATE DRIVER
a) Select the Install from list or specific location (Advanvced) – next.
b) Select Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install. – next.
c) Uncheck the Show comtabile hardware checkbox.
d) Highlight LTO under the manufacturer.
e) Highlight the LTO tape drive under model – then next.
f) This should install the Microsoft ltotape.sys driver.
4) Rescan the tape library in the DPM console – try to take another backup.

After following the above steps, all 16 tape drives were visible in the  DPM console.

Windows Live Messenger 2011 Hangs On Sign-In

I installed Windows Live Messenger 2011 on a new HP laptop, but found that Messenger hung after signing in.  The problem is related to Internet Explorer (IE) 9’s hardware acceleration and the integrated graphics on the Core i3 CPU.  The laptop has switchable graphics and when running on the AMD GPU Messenger doesn’t hang, but it does hang when using the graphics on the CPU.  The resolution is to either disable IE 9’s hardware acceleration, or just use the discrete AMD GPU.

To disable IE 9’s hardware acceleration:

Open IE

Press ALT and choose Tools -> Internet Options from the menu

Go to the Advanced tab and select “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering*”

Click OK and restart IE